The skincare experts for babies and mothers-to-be since 1950. Mustela offers a complete range of specially formulated, premium skincare.
The goodness that nature provides is at the core of all Mustela products.
But in order for us to be able to provide you with the best possible products, we believe that nature has to be properly understood: when it comes to our products, our main requirements have always been safety, effectiveness and pleasure in using them. And your expectations are what guide us in the choices that we make.
Our design approach involves a sensible use of natural products, and this results in the application of three main principles which guide us in our product development:
1. Whenever possible, we try to use ingredients that are natural or of natural origin.
2. Only when absolutely necessary, we use synthetic ingredients.
3. We are committed to finding the best active ingredients and those that are not questionable or have a negative impact on the environment.
1. WHENEVER POSSIBLE, WE TRY TO USE INGREDIENTS THAT ARE NATURAL OR OF NATURAL ORIGIN
Nature possesses all the resources we need for taking care of delicate skin. So in all of our products, we try to use ingredients that are natural or of natural origin – provided they meet our requirements as far as safety, effectiveness and pleasure in using them are concerned. Today, Mustela Bébé products contain 92% ingredients of natural origin on average. We draw on all the expertise that Expanscience Laboratories has in its understanding of plants and we develop our own plant-based active ingredients (using – for example – avocado or sunflower), the benefits of which contribute to our products.
When formulating our products, we are mainly guided by the Ecocert reference framework which sets regulation for biological and environmentally-friendly cosmetic products.
Natural ingredient or ingredient of natural origin?
As far as both of these concepts are concerned, we use the definitions outlined in the Ecocert “Environmentally-friendly and biological cosmetics products" reference framework:
– We call a "natural ingredient" any substance which comes directly from nature and which is either left as it is or transformed only using physical processes that have been authorised by Ecocert. A few examples of natural ingredients include water, vegetable oils or butters, beeswax, etc.
– "Ingredients of natural origin" also come from nature, but have been transformed by a number of processes that have been authorised by Ecocert.
2. WHEN WE HAVE TO, WE USE SYNTHETIC INGREDIENTS
Mustela always tries to use products derived from nature, but not at any price. When ingredients of natural origin cannot guarantee us the high standards that we expect in terms of safety, effectiveness and enjoyment, when there are no natural-origin alternatives, we use synthetic ingredients.
In such cases, we only select ingredients that have been authorised by European regulations, and which meet all of our own requirements in terms of safety and effectiveness.
3. WE ARE COMMITTED TO FINDING THE BEST ACTIVE INGREDIENTS AND THOSE THAT ARE NOT QUESTIONABLE OR HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON THE ENVIRONMENT.
We have removed numerous substances from our products so that we can guarantee that our ingredients are safer for both your skin and your baby’s, as well as being less harmful to the environment. For example, all of our products are formulated:
- Without alcohol.
- Without essential oils.
- Without parabens.
- Without phenoxyethanol.
- Without phthalates.
- Without plant extracts derived from genetically modified plants (GMO).
- Without aluminum chlorohydrate.
- Without ingredients derived from animal products - except hive products (honey, beeswax, etc.) -, purified lanolin-based products or milk-based products.
- Without terpenes (camphor, menthol or eucalyptus).